October 17th is the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. Chew on This! marks this important day each year with our nation-wide event, drawing attention to poverty in Canada and calling for action through a national plan to end poverty.
This year, Chew on This! is more important than ever!
The federal government has just released Opportunity for All, Canada’s first poverty reduction strategy. While we’re pleased to have a strategy to build on, much more work is needed to achieve our campaign’s goal of poverty eradication.
Our postcard message this year, directed to the Prime Minister, will call for a plan that is strengthened, legislated, and fully-funded in Budget 2019. We do not want this opportunity lost!
In 2017, on the 5th anniversary of Chew on This!, more groups than ever joined us as we drew attention to poverty and food insecurity in Canada. Volunteers handed out Chew on This! materials and engaged passersby on food insecurity and the need for a national anti-poverty plan.
Check out our photos gallery of 2017 events to see last year’s volunteers from across Canada.
Join us for Chew on This! 2018!
It’s easy to organize an event in your town, at your school, or with your community group:
- Find volunteers. It’s good to have at least six.
- Pick a location. Hand out your materials in a spot with high pedestrian traffic. It works great to host events at schools, faith centres, or community centres. Your event can be as big or small as you’d like.
- Find apples. We can help with this – groups have also used local food, like Bannock, which works great.
- Order your materials using the form below. We’ll provide free postcards, magnets, buttons and bags. Your orders will also include organizer information to help with your event.
- Pack your bags.
- Be a part of a growing movement across Canada!
For more information, please contact Michèle Biss.
Check out the map to find a Chew On This! event near you
Join your voice with others from coast – to coast – to coast!